This vegan lemon pound cake has a mushy, tender and dense crumb and it is loaded with buttery, lemony taste. On prime goes an intensely lemony, scrumptious glaze.
When you love vegan cake recipes like vegan lemon yogurt bundt cake and vegan lemon cake with lemon curd topping, that is the dessert for you.
This vegan lemon pound cake is one in all my all-time favourite desserts, and I am going to inform you why.
It has a dense, completely tender and velvety crumb — precisely as a pound cake ought to. Add to that the intense, lemony taste in every chunk compounded astronomically by the lemon glaze. What’s to not love?
What’s a pound cake?
Pound muffins had been so named as a result of they had been initially made with a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of eggs and a pound of flour. There was no leavening and the title itself was the recipe.
However over time, as cooks and occasions modified, pound muffins started to include extra components, like bitter cream, milk, and even leavening like baking soda and baking powder.
A vegan pound cake would require you cast off two key components: butter and eggs. However that could be a downside that is simply solved with all we find out about vegan baking at this time. Butter is simple sufficient to sub–I’ve used olive oil prior to now only for a unique taste, however my advise is to only go together with vegan butter for the perfect taste. And you do not want a pound of it. You simply want 1 / 4 of a pound, or one stick of butter.
The eggs do not get a single substitute. As an alternative, I exploit a little bit of cornstarch within the recipe, which helps with binding and in addition makes the cake crumb lighter. And I add some baking soda and baking powder for a little bit of elevate and construction, though you don’t need an excessive amount of of it, since you need that dense, mushy crumb.
Why you’ll love this vegan pound cake
- Buttery and genuine taste. You may’t have a pound cake with out the buttery taste and on this vegan pound cake the vegan butter and cultured vegan yogurt add a number of buttery taste whereas maintaining the cake dairy-free.
- Smooth, silky, dense crumb. A defining attribute of the proper pound cake is its mushy, dense crumb, and this vegan pound cake doesn’t disappoint. The cake has a young, melt-in-the-mouth texture anybody will fall in love with!
- Straightforward recipe. This can be a fairly simple recipe and in the event you observe it rigorously, you’ll succeed. I’ve tried making this in a single bowl and whereas you are able to do that, I want the feel that outcomes from the method of blending the dry and moist components individually earlier than combining them.
- Soy-free, nut-free recipe. It is also eggless and dairy-free, after all.
- Unbleached all function flour. That is the perfect kind of flour for that dense, mushy crumb we’re searching for.
- Cornstarch. Cornstarch will assist make the vegan pound cake extra tender. Tapioca starch will even work.
- Leavening: baking powder and baking soda. These assist the cake rise a bit so it is not heavy and dense, which it might be with out eggs.
- Granulated sugar and powdered sugar (for glaze). Use any granulated sugar of your selection, together with vegan cane sugar. A darker sugar like turbinado sugar or coconut sugar will give the loaf cake a darker coloration.
- Vegan butter. Be certain that it is softened to room temperature earlier than including to the batter. You too can soften the butter, which might give the cake an airier crumb.
- Vegan yogurt. Vegan yogurt is vital on this recipe for the buttery taste. I used my home made cultured cashew yogurt, however use any unsweetened store-bought yogurt.
- Contemporary-squeezed lemon juice and zest. These add a lot brilliant, citrusy taste to the pound cake recipe and the zest provides fairly yellow flecks all through the loaf.
- Pure vanilla extract. This provides a pleasant sweetness and enhances the lemon.
The best way to make vegan lemon pound cake
Whisk the dry components — flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt — in a big mixing bowl. Whisk the room temperature butter into the flour.
In one other bowl beat the vegan yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest till clean. Add to the flour combination in two batches, ensuring to combine completely with a spatula every time. Scrape the underside and sides of the bowl periodically to make sure no dry flour stays within the bowl.
Put together a loaf pan by coating it with oil, butter or cooking spray and putting a bit of parchment paper on the backside to make unmolding simpler. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. This can be a thick batter, however that is okay. Bake the loaf in a preheated 350 diploma Fahrenheit/180 diploma Celsius oven for 45 to 50 minutes or till a toothpick within the middle comes out clear. Cool the pound cake on a rack for 10 minutes, unmold, then proceed cooling the cake on the rack.
Place all of the glaze components in a bowl and whisk completely till clean. Glaze the pound cake after it has cooled. Reserve some glaze to drizzle over particular person slices whereas serving. If the glaze hardens up, pop it within the microwave or place the bowl in heat water for a number of seconds to loosen it.
This vegan pound cake is scrumptious by itself. However if you wish to gown it up additional, listed below are some recommendations for toppings:
- Contemporary berries, together with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.
- Sliced peaches and vegan whipped cream.
- When you skip the glaze, you’ll be able to prime the lemon pound cake with vegan lemon curd.
- Sliced bananas, sweetened coconut flakes and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Baking a pound cake is completely different from baking a daily cake in a number of essential methods. It’s essential change up your method a bit while you make it. Whenever you make different muffins, you need the crumb to be ethereal and fluffy, so that you begin out by creaming the vegan butter and sugar collectively and incorporate air into your batter. With a pound cake, which is mushy however has a dense crumb, you need to reverse the technique–you need to combine the flour and different dry components after which add the liquid components to it with out incorporating an excessive amount of air into them first.
- Conventional pound muffins don’t use leavening brokers, however we are going to use baking soda and baking powder within the vegan pound cake recipe as a result of they are going to assist give the cake a little bit of an increase, which the egg would, and make it lighter.
- With the butter, I attempted two completely different methods and each produced completely different outcomes, so I wished to share these in case you’d prefer to attempt both. The best way you incorporate butter into this recipe, a method I realized from this superior video, to get the appropriate pound cake texture, is so as to add it to the flour so the butter coats it. This does produce a extra dense crumb, however ensure that your butter is totally mushy in the event you accomplish that. In any other case the butter may not incorporate completely. After I tried making the cake once more, I melted the butter after which added it. I most popular this method as a result of it produced a barely lighter crumb. You may attempt both.
- Among the lemon taste dissipates from the pound cake throughout baking so whereas a fourth of a cup of lemon juice would possibly look like loads, it is not.
- The form of pan you employ will decide the colour of your cake. A steel pan will produce a darker coloration on the surface, and a glass pan will give your cake a lighter look.
- Don’t fret if the pound cake cracks on top–it is supposed to. 🙂
Sure. Simply pass over the lemon juice and as a substitute add ¼ cup of non-dairy milk, together with oat milk, almond milk or soy milk, or any plant-based milk of your selection. Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the milk to make “vegan buttermilk”. This may activate the baking soda and provides your cake some elevate and construction. To make a vegan vanilla pound cake, double the vanilla quantity.
You may, the pound cake is scrumptious with out it. That stated, the lemon glaze does add a lot pop and taste and it makes the cake prettier.
Undoubtedly. However you have to to double the recipe in the event you’re baking this in a regular bundt cake pan, which has a 12- to 16-cup capability. This recipe doubles simply, and you will have more–and a prettier–pound cake to eat. Be sure you double up on the glaze as properly, if utilizing.
You too can bake the pound cake in an 8-inch cake pan.
- Refrigerate: Retailer the cake in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as per week.
- Freeze: Freeze the pound cake, both complete or sliced, in a freezer-safe container for as much as three months. You too can wrap particular person slices in freezer wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag and retailer.
- Thaw the pound cake earlier than consuming.
Extra scrumptious vegan loaf cake recipes
Loved this recipe? Subscribe to my free publication for extra scrumptious recipe updates in your inbox. You too can observe me on Fb, Pinterest and Instagram to maintain up with what’s cooking at Holy Cow Vegan!
Vegan Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This vegan lemon pound cake has a mushy, tender and dense crumb and it is loaded with buttery, lemony taste. On prime goes an intensely lemony, scrumptious glaze.Print Recipe Pin Recipe Evaluation Recipe
Servings: 8 slices
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F/180 levels C.
In a big bowl or within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, whisk collectively the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, sugar and salt.
Whisk the butter into the flour till included, a number of seconds.
In one other bowl, combine the yogurt, vanilla extract and lemon juice and zest till mixed.
Add the liquid combination to the flour in two batches, mixing completely with a spatula after every addition. Be sure you scrape the underside and sides of the bowl after every addition. If utilizing a stand mixer, combine for 20 seconds after every addition.
Put together a loaf pan by coating it with cooking spray and putting a bit of parchment paper on the backside to make unmolding simpler.
Scrape the batter into the pan. Will probably be fairly thick. Clean the highest wth the spatula.
Bake within the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or till a toothpick within the middle comes out clear. The highest will crack, however that is typical of pound muffins and truly offers your cake a pleasant look.
Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold it and proceed cooling it on the rack.
As soon as the cake has almost cooled, put together the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with the lemon juice and vanilla, if utilizing. Drizzle it over the pound cake, and reserve some glaze to drizzle over particular person slices.
Serving: 1slice | Energy: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7g | Trans Fats: 2g | Sodium: 309mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg