Anna Moneymaker/Getty Photos
Welcome to the NPR sequence the place we highlight the folks and issues making headlines — and the tales behind them.
Rep. Nancy Mace is not satisfied about a number of the stances her occasion is taking. And she or he’s already dealing with blowback for it.
Who’s she? Nancy Mace is a South Carolina congresswoman and Republican.
- A South Carolina native to the Lowcountry area, she was elected to symbolize the state’s first congressional district in 2021.
- In accordance with her web site, Mace’s first job was as a Waffle Home waitress, and he or she finally turned the primary lady to graduate from the Corps of Cadets program on the Citadel, a army faculty in South Carolina.
- Her tenure has targeted on party-aligned points like inflation, taxes, the second modification, the Southern border and the present tradition wars over gender identification and inclusivity.
What is the large deal? Whereas Mace sees eye to eye with many GOP members on different points, reproductive well being and motion on mass shootings have grow to be a degree of competition.
- Mace, who identifies as pro-life, has been a vocal defendant of the fitting to decide on as extra GOP legislators push ahead with payments that proceed to limit entry to abortion throughout the nation, calling the efforts “excessive” and stating that the largely unpopular strikes may alienate potential voters and endanger folks with a uterus.
- On a CNN look earlier in April, Mace known as for the FDA to disregard the courtroom ruling suspending the approval of Mifepristone.
- She additionally individually known as upon her occasion members to take extra motion in response to the growing price of mass shootings, sharing that she and her personal youngsters had been close to the Isle of Palms taking pictures that happened earlier this month.
- Mace was additionally one of many few GOP members to talk out towards former President Donald Trump’s attainable function in Jan. sixth, although that place has waned over time.
Need extra politics? Take heed to Think about This discover what the phrase ‘powerful on China’ actually means.
What are folks saying?
Mace on abortion throughout her CNN look:
That is an FDA-approved drug. I assist the utilization of FDA-approved medicine, even when we’d disagree. It is lower than us to determine as legislators or because the courtroom system that- whether or not or not that is the fitting drug to make use of or not. This is a matter that Republicans have been largely on the improper facet of. We’ve, over the past 9 months, not proven compassion in direction of ladies, and that is a type of points that I’ve tried to steer on as somebody who’s ‘pro-life’ and simply have some frequent sense.
All people’s welcome to their very own opinion. I symbolize a really purple district that can be a bellwether for the remainder of the nation. And I can let you know, excess of the overwhelming majority of 60-70% of Individuals aren’t going to agree with this resolution. And there are various pro-life those who, additionally whereas they’re pro-life, they do not need the federal government to intervene on this radical of a fashion, and the FDA has a rigorous course of.
And through one other TV look:
We have 14 counties in South Carolina that do not have a single OBGYN physician. So if we’ll ban abortion, what are we doing to verify ladies have entry to contraception?
Mace on gun management throughout a FOX Information look:
Each mass taking pictures, there’s simply silence, and prayers are supplied, Easter baskets are supplied, however no actual options,
Republicans can not be silent on this subject. And it is not concerning the Second Modification. There are many issues that we may be doing in addition to providing prayers and silence,
These sorts of frequent sense issues are all issues that each American on both facet of the aisle can get behind, however but each time there is a mass taking pictures, and so they’re growing yearly, each week, we do not say something. We need to bury our heads within the sand and hope that it goes away. However guess what? It isn’t going away.
So, what now?
- Earlier this week, pro-life protestors gathered outdoors Mace’s South Carolina workplaces, calling for her to resign within the wake of her feedback concerning the abortion drug ruling.
- Mace has known as for stronger background checks within the buy of firearms along with improved alert programs.
- It is vital to notice that Mace has additionally devoted a big portion of her ‘ladies’s rights’ platform to “ladies in sports activities”, co-sponsoring The Safety of Ladies and Women in Sports activities Act, which seeks to ban transgender ladies and women from taking part in women’ and girls’s college sports activities.
Be taught extra: