Printed on: 03 Apr 2023
Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a well-liked treatment for treating despair, generalized nervousness dysfunction (GAD), and different temper issues. It may be an efficient device in managing these situations, however it’s necessary to grasp the unwanted effects of Lexapro that will include taking this antidepressant treatment. Understanding the potential dangers you are taking when deciding on Lexapro is important in your security and well-being.
Hold studying as we discover frequent and extreme unwanted effects of Lexapro and take a look at potential interactions with different drugs or substances. Whenever you’re knowledgeable of the dangers, you’re in a position to make the perfect choices relating to your psychological well being care.
Potential Dangers & Warnings of Taking Lexapro
Like most drugs, Lexapro can have unwanted effects. Youngsters below 12, pregnant or breastfeeding ladies, and a few individuals with sure allergy symptoms mustn’t take Lexapro. Lexapro and being pregnant have their very own correlation, and in the event you’re pregnant whereas taking Lexapro, studying extra in regards to the two will assist you to make the best choice earlier than Lexapro use.
Moreover, individuals with an imbalance of their serotonin ranges won’t have the ability to take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Lexapro. The drug has additionally been related to low sodium within the blood (hyponatremia) within the aged who want to watch their sodium consumption.
Psychiatric remedy from a licensed prescriber
Facet Results of Lexapro
Whereas analysis reveals that Lexapro can successfully deal with signs of despair and nervousness, understanding potential unwanted effects is important earlier than starting it or any treatment. At all times focus on the potential dangers versus advantages related to its use and some other well being considerations you could have together with your physician. They may help decide if it’s protected so that you can take Lexapro long-term primarily based in your particular person wants and medical historical past.
“Frequent unwanted effects of taking Lexapro are weak spot, feeling drained, nausea, points with sleep, nervousness, or lack of urge for food. It could additionally trigger sexual issues, akin to decreased intercourse drive and erectile dysfunction. It’s good to pay attention to how the treatment is impacting you and what unwanted effects you might be having. It could fluctuate from individual to individual. Remember to focus on it together with your psychiatrist to guarantee that that is the perfect treatment choice for you.”
– Talkspace therapist Bisma Anwar, LMHC
Frequent unwanted effects
Frequent unwanted effects of Lexapro use can vary from gentle to extreme. Analysis reveals that aside from sexual unwanted effects, which usually don’t enhance, lots of the extra frequent Lexapro unwanted effects have a tendency to minimize over time.
Lots of Lexapro unwanted effects resolve inside two weeks of beginning the treatment. It’s finest to start with a low Lexapro dosage and slowly improve the quantity taken over a number of weeks as suggested by your physician.
Frequent unwanted effects related to Lexapro embody:
- Nausea: Nausea is without doubt one of the most typical unwanted effects of Lexapro. It sometimes happens inside the first few weeks after beginning remedy. Usually it might resolve over time as your physique adjusts to the treatment. Taking Lexapro with meals or at bedtime might assist scale back nausea signs.
- Change in intercourse drive: Sexual unwanted effects are one other frequent incidence when taking Lexapro. These may embody issues akin to decreased libido, issue attaining orgasm, delayed ejaculation, and erectile dysfunction for males.
- Menstrual cycle modifications and/or vaginal dryness: Ladies can also expertise modifications of their menstrual cycle or vaginal dryness whereas on this treatment.
- Insomnia: Insomnia is a possible facet impact of Lexapro, though it’s much less frequent than nausea or sexual issues. Insomnia typically begins the primary few weeks after beginning remedy however ought to enhance over time as your physique will get used to the treatment’s results. To attenuate insomnia signs, attempt avoiding caffeine late within the day and setting a daily sleep schedule by going to mattress at across the identical time every evening. If insomnia persists, speak together with your physician about adjusting your dose or switching drugs.
- Drowsiness: Lexapro is understood to trigger extreme fatigue and drowsiness in some individuals.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth generally is a frequent facet impact of Lexapro.
- Diarrhea or constipation: Diarrhea or constipation might happen when utilizing Lexapro.
- Elevated sweating: Lexapro could cause some individuals to expertise elevated sweating.
- Weight achieve: Whereas it’ll fluctuate from individual to individual, weight achieve might happen when taking Lexapro. Take a look at our article on Lexapro weight achieve to be taught in regards to the causes and methods to keep away from these weight fluctuations.
Whereas most unwanted effects are gentle, some might grow to be extra extreme if not addressed. If unwanted effects persist for longer than two weeks or start to intervene together with your means to operate each day, you need to contact your physician instantly.
Critical unwanted effects
When taking any treatment, it’s important to pay attention to all the potential unwanted effects.
“Lexapro is an efficient treatment to deal with despair and nervousness however it might even have severe unwanted effects. Just be sure you speak to your physician about some other well being points you will have, in addition to different drugs you may be taking earlier than beginning on Lexapro. This may help inform your physician and scale back the possibilities of you having unwanted effects.”
– Talkspace therapist Bisma Anwar, LMHC
Critical unwanted effects from taking Lexapro might embody:
- Suicidal ideas or behaviors: Suicidal ideas or behaviors might happen in individuals taking this treatment – particularly these below 25 – so you need to monitor for indicators of elevated despair or suicidal habits whereas utilizing this drug.
- Modifications in habits: Some individuals discover a rise in aggression or agitation after starting Lexapro.
- Serotonin syndrome: Serotonin syndrome can happen when an excessive amount of serotonin builds up within the physique — signs embody confusion, agitation, and fever. It is a identified potential facet impact of Lexapro to pay attention to.
- Mania: Lexapro can set off manic episodes in some individuals taking it for bipolar dysfunction.
- Seizures: Extra analysis is required to find out if Lexapro will increase the danger of seizures in individuals with a seizure dysfunction. Nonetheless, the drug can lead to some individuals with no situation having seizures.
- Irregular bleeding or bruising: Irregular bleeding or bruising when taking Lexapro may be as a result of its means to inhibit platelet aggregation in some individuals.
- Problem respiratory or swallowing: Lexapro could cause an allergic response. Although uncommon, the response may typically end in issue respiratory and/or swallowing.
If you happen to expertise any of those extreme unwanted effects whereas taking Lexapro, search medical consideration straight away.
Sure drugs and alcohol can work together with and influence the efficacy of Lexapro remedy. Try to be conscious of potential interactions when taking this or any drug. Remember to converse together with your physician or pharmacist and share what different medication or drugs you’re taking. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice generally work together with some SSRI drugs, so be certain to verify together with your pharmacist or physician about that interplay.
Lexapro interactions with different medication
Some prescription and over-the-counter medication, nutritional vitamins, or dietary supplements can work together with Lexapro. Generally identified interactions can happen with:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
- Different SSRIs
- Sure antihistamines akin to diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
Sure combos of medicine and drugs can improve the danger of growing harmful unwanted effects or scale back the effectiveness of 1 or each medication.
For instance, combining Lexapro with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) could cause severe reactions, together with hypertension and seizures. Research have linked problems to Lexapro and MAOIs when taken inside 14 days of one another.
Lastly, sure drug interactions with antibiotics — like clarithromycin, which may trigger an irregular coronary heart rhythm that may be life-threatening — shouldn’t be taken whereas on Lexapro.
Lexapro interactions with alcohol
Keep away from consuming alcohol when taking an SSRI antidepressant like Lexapro. Alcohol’s sedative properties might improve the danger for antagonistic reactions when mixed with the drug’s energetic substances. Study extra about what can occur when Lexapro and alcohol, so that you’re absolutely conscious of potential reactions.
Discuss with a Physician About Lexapro
Discuss to a health care provider or on-line psychiatrist at Talkspace in regards to the potential unwanted effects of Lexapro — each frequent and severe — earlier than taking it or some other nervousness or despair treatment. Lexapro can successfully deal with despair and different psychological well being situations, however it isn’t appropriate for everybody. Understanding the dangers related to its use and understanding what to search for is essential.
You don’t must dwell with psychological well being situations that negatively influence your life. Assist is offered by remedy, psychiatrist-prescribed treatment, and way of life modifications. If you happen to’re involved and in search of interventions that will help you handle the signs of your despair or one other temper dysfunction, speak to your physician or therapist to seek out out if Lexapro may be an choice for you.
To get solutions to extra questions on Lexapro, such because the distinction between Celexa vs. Lexapro or how lengthy it takes for Lexapro to work, try our sources or speak to a health care provider at this time.
- Jiang Ok, Li L, Xueyi W, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of Escitalopram in remedy of main depressive dysfunction with nervousness signs: A 24-week, open-label, potential research in Chinese language inhabitants. Neuropsychiatric Illness and Therapy. 2017;Quantity 13:515-526. doi:10.2147/ndt.s120190. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5322850/. Accessed December 12, 2022.
- Escitalopram (Lexapro). NAMI. https://www.nami.org/About-Psychological-Sickness/Remedies/Psychological-Well being-Medicines/Sorts-of-Treatment/Escitalopram-(Lexapro). Printed 2020. Accessed December 12, 2022.
Talkspace psychological well being providers
Handy and safe on-line remedy from the consolation of your property
Psychiatric remedy from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered remedy that connects you and your associate
Specialised on-line remedy for ages 13-17