RTTF is reader supported. Whenever you buy by way of hyperlinks on the location, we might earn an affiliate fee.
For years I’ve gotten a month-to-month sports activities therapeutic massage as a result of I discovered it was extraordinarily helpful in sustaining a cheerful IT band, aligned hips, and decreasing my general stress ranges—which improved restoration. Might an at residence therapeutic massage gun for runners give me a few of these advantages??
I’m all the time seeking to spend cash properly, so I began to marvel, “Are therapeutic massage weapons actually value it?” Might a high-quality therapeutic massage gun function a substitute for my month-to-month sports activities therapeutic massage? Is it higher than a foam curler for working the fascia?
With the intention to discover out, I began by speaking to Bodily Therapist Stuart Wilson of Elevate PT. Then, I moved on to testing out a variety of completely different fashions. Lastly, I checked in with a whole lot of runners by way of certainly one of my weekly Instagram polls, as a result of there’s nothing higher than actual life knowledge to elucidate whether or not one thing works!
🤑Not fascinated by studying the entire put up, then right here’s a sizzling tip this AFFORDABLE therapeutic massage gun is simply nearly as good (whereas nonetheless being top quality sufficient to final), if you happen to resolve one is critical.
However I’m going to share with you extra particulars on what I’ve used and why some athletes would possibly spend extra for sure options.
Let’s dive in to every thing it is advisable learn about therapeutic massage weapons for runners to assist with these tight hamstrings and sore muscular tissues.
What’s a Therapeutic massage Gun?
Therapeutic massage weapons, referred to extra technically as percussion massagers, percussive remedy or vibration remedy, are a step up from at residence instruments we’ve lengthy had entry to, like deep tissue massagers that use a extra round movement.
When turned on, therapeutic massage weapons pulse ahead, making a pounding impact on the muscle, aka percussion.
The percussive therapeutic massage gun is a light-weight, moveable wi-fi handheld system formed a bit like a software you’d anticipate to see on a building undertaking. Most are sufficiently small that you could even throw them in your gymnasium bag and take them on the go.
The “gun” title comes from being formed like a nail gun (or energy drill) and with the identical concept that the therapeutic massage software itself pushes outward. Particularly they’re designed to:
- Make the most of depth, velocity and pressure to hit muscular tissues that deep tissue therapeutic massage would with much less ache
- Let you work in deeper than you may with a foam curler
- Totally different velocity settings permit for various ranges of muscle tissue work
- The repeated pressure supplies vibration remedy
- Focused to be used on small muscle teams (consider your TFL or pecs that are exhausting to get with a foam curler)
It’s essential to notice that percussion and vibration are actually completely different. Percussion is working deep in to the tissue, the place one thing like a vibration foam curler helps to distract nerves from ache. That means that you can work extra on an space or just to scale back ache.
What are the Advantages of a Therapeutic massage Gun?
Sadly there aren’t but a ton of research to show out the claims being made, which matches to point out loads of it could possibly be in our heads like utilizing compression tights for working. Don’t care, I’ll take all of the headspace wins I can get.
One small research did present that utilizing vibration and/or therapeutic massage helped with muscle soreness. And a brand new bigger overview of many research helps that knowledge!
When runners have interaction in high-impact actions, their muscular tissues can expertise microtears, resulting in soreness and stiffness. Percussive therapeutic massage remedy helps to expedite the therapeutic course of by rising blood circulate to the world, which aids in nutrient supply and waste elimination.
Together with a research that confirmed 5 minutes with a therapeutic massage gun had the identical advantages as quarter-hour with a therapeutic massage therapist.
Primarily based on what medical doctors and bodily therapists learn about therapeutic massage remedy, we’ve got extrapolated the anticipated advantages for runners who constantly use therapeutic massage weapons.
- manipulation encourages tight knotted muscular tissues to launch by rising blood circulate
- discount in muscle stiffness on account of the deep vibration
- elevated muscle leisure may promote higher sleep
- elevated blood circulate to that space when completed will help with muscle restoration
- may enhance flexibility whereas the muscular tissues are in a state of distraction
- interrupts ache alerts to the mind (found this when writing about vibration foam rollers)
- potential enhance in muscle energy (research)
One of many distinctive advantages of therapeutic massage weapons is their potential to activate the nervous system’s ache gate mechanism.
The speedy percussive pulses from the system can stimulate sensory receptors within the pores and skin, sending alerts to the mind that quickly override ache alerts from sore muscular tissues. This could present fast reduction and make post-run restoration extra comfy for runners.
PT, Stuart Wilson, encourages runners to start making the therapeutic massage gun a part of their nightly routine. Pondering of this restoration time as priming the physique for the following exercise. In truth, this is among the items of the Damage Prevention Program for Runners we created.
There’s some proof based on the Journal of Sports activities Medication, that it may delay or decelerate DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Which suggests we’re in a position to prepare more durable, once more sooner.
Are Therapeutic massage Weapons Price It?
Throughout my final sports activities chiropractor go to, I requested for yet one more opinion. I knew my Bodily Therapist was on board, however what did my sports activities Chiro take into consideration this software.
“Do you assume folks must be utilizing therapeutic massage weapons at residence?”
Dr. Toby Spitzlberger DC had a few actually good issues to say:
- I feel it’s actually thrilling when folks first get it after which many type of put it to the facet and cease utilizing it (contacté my buddy contacté on each gizmo we lust after).
- Individuals ought to NOT simply preserve going time and again a sore space (that’s an effective way to extend irritation, identical to why you don’t foam roll your IT Band).
- It’s actually nice for working in to a glute (or different muscle) whereas additionally utilizing motion of the leg.
So the general dialogue result in sure they’re value it when used constantly and when you know the way to make use of them appropriately. You could possibly be doing extra muscle injury if you happen to’re utilizing them incorrectly.
Don’t fear, we’ll dive in to that shortly.
7 Finest Therapeutic massage Weapons For Runners
Why are therapeutic massage weapons so costly? There’s loads of expertise concerned, however I can’t offer you an enormous purpose why the $600 therapeutic massage gun is massively higher than the one I’m utilizing and is on sale for lower than $200.
My chiropractor does have the $600 Theragun Professional and likes the therapeutic massage head on it as a result of it doesn’t trigger ache if you find yourself over a bony space, which is simple to do round your shoulders and chest. As famous, I’m looking for issues that is perhaps a bit extra pockets pleasant, however you may’t go mistaken with what the professions like.
*Be aware: I don’t advocate any of the mini therapeutic massage weapons, too exhausting to get sufficient pressure to be helpful. There are many nice therapeutic massage weapons beneath $100 which are full dimension.
#1 Warmth and Chilly Therapeutic massage Gun – ROLAZ Therapeutic massage Gun ($83)
For a low priced therapeutic massage gun, this has some nice options. In the event you aren’t searching for an excellent deep massager, I actually like that this has the cold and warm options, having used them I can say they’re fabulous.
- Warmth mixed with the vibration will help to loosen stress
- Chilly can simply really feel fairly darn nice on a sore space
- Designed to be fairly
- Accommodates all of the therapeutic massage heads and a carrying case (although actually why hassle with those that may’t do warmth or chilly?!)
- Steel head slides actually simply and once more the warmth simply feels good
- Percussion might not really feel as deep as others, I usually use this sort only for vibration
#2 Finest Therapeutic massage Gun Beneath $100 – Tolco Therapeutic massage Gun ($40)
It has over 42,000 opinions and remains to be at 4.5 stars to me that claims quite a bit as a result of persons are exhausting to please!
- It additionally has 20 speeds making it straightforward to decide on your energy stage
- Tons of therapeutic massage heads for various wants
- Straightforward to learn display screen to decide on your energy stage
Don’t let an affordable value make you assume it may well’t do the job. It might!
In truth, even the highest tier choices have been dropping in value. So if you happen to’ve been ready to search out one of the best therapeutic massage gun, now could be one of the best time to snag it.
#3 Mid-Degree Sensible Therapeutic massage Gun Theragun Prime – ($219)
There are a number of Theragun choices, this one is center of the highway. Not as expensive because the skilled mannequin, however not transferring all the way down to the much less highly effective Theragun Mini.
- Most Theraguns declare to have a deeper muscle tissue therapy than you’ll discover with decrease powered machines
- Prime vs Professional: It can have the identical depth, however much less stall energy. Which suggests you may extra simply apply an excessive amount of strain. It has a barely shorter battery life at 2 hours.
- Prime is way quieter than the opposite variations
- Is available in a pouch carrying case, somewhat than a tough sided case
- Wi-fi charging
- Smartapp bluetooth integration provides you with precise routines to make use of!
#4 Skilled Gade Therapeutic massage Gun – Theragun Professional ($599)
In the event you actually need to stage up and also you want that tremendous deep muscle penetrating pound, then the Theragun Professional you discover at most PT’s workplace is the place you need to look.
Simply do not forget that extra pressure doesn’t all the time imply a greater consequence.
That is going to be the heaviest therapeutic massage gun at 2.8lbs, with probably the most stall pressure of as much as 60lbs (particularly the finances ones are extra like 20-30lbs.
Similar options just like the OLED display screen and interchangable heads because the Prime.
#5 Bluetooth Guided Utilization – Hyperice Hyper Volt 2 – ($299)
My Ragnar workforce was obsessive about this specific mannequin, passing it forwards and backwards between vans after we traded off legs.
It’s one of many extra common fashions available on the market. It does have fewer velocity choices than others, however stories having an extended battery life. It’s additionally listed as one of many quietest therapeutic massage weapons.
- Hypersmart app provides you with personalised plans to get probably the most of out it
- TSA pleasant
- Very quiet, however solely 3 velocity ranges
For the value I might in all probability select one thing else. BUT Hypervolt is a very top quality model and this therapeutic massage gun goes to final you a really very long time.
#6 Good Power and Angle Erkin Athletics B37 – ($299)
In the event you actually like that deep pressure of the Theragun, here’s a cheaper possibility that’s rather well preferred. A bonus is the slight angle of the massager could make it simpler to succeed in round and get your again muscular tissues (a should for me).
- Tremendous lengthy battery life
- Deep percussion – 5 speeds to select from
- Fairly…does that matter, I don’t know, however I just like the emerald coloration!
- Extremely quiet expertise
#7 Mini Therapeutic massage Gun – Sportneer Mini 3 ($49)
In the event you want a mini for touring, it is a first rate possibility amongst these on the market, to really nonetheless present some energy. It actually does pack a punch, at about half the facility of a Theragun, which goes to be on par with loads of full dimension masssgers.
They label it as pocket sized, however I’m unsure whose pocket we’re speaking about. It’s about as tall as an IPhone, however after all nonetheless chunky
- Nice LCD display screen
- 5 Speeds
- Good battery life
*enjoyable word: do know that if you happen to journey with a mini therapeutic massage gun, you’ll probably get stopped at TSA…and they are going to be considering it’s a unique vibrating system.
What to search for in a Therapeutic massage Gun?
A few of the key options we checked out when testing runner therapeutic massage weapons. I had just a few I actually needed to advocate, however after testing they simply had so little energy I couldn’t actually say they’d executed something.
- Amplitude – how deep it goes (in all probability crucial issue primarily based on what you want the massager to do)
- Speeds – how a lot you may management the depth
- Good to have a number of software heads to hit muscular tissues in a different way
- Straightforward to carry
- Good battery life (I’m positively one who forgets to cost issues)
- A guaranty as a result of it higher final awhile if you happen to’re utilizing it rather than a month-to-month therapeutic massage
Who Ought to Keep away from Therapeutic massage Weapons?
However let’s not neglect that for some folks a therapeutic massage gun might not be the only option for restoration. It’s all the time essential with any methodology from cryotherapy to ice baths to accupressure to know your physique.
It’s important to prioritize security and seek the advice of with a medical skilled earlier than utilizing a therapeutic massage gun, particularly if you happen to fall into any of the next classes:
- Current Accidents: When you’ve got just lately suffered an acute damage resembling a muscle pressure, tear, or sprain, it’s essential to permit your physique enough time to heal earlier than utilizing a therapeutic massage gun. Making use of percussive strain to an injured space may exacerbate the injury and delay the therapeutic course of.
- Open Wounds or Bruises: Keep away from utilizing a therapeutic massage gun on areas with open wounds, cuts, or important bruises. The extreme vibrations and strain may hinder the pure therapeutic course of and probably trigger additional hurt.
- Irritation or An infection: People with circumstances characterised by irritation, resembling rheumatoid arthritis or acute infections, ought to keep away from utilizing therapeutic massage weapons in areas affected by irritation. The extra stimulation may result in elevated discomfort or potential problems.
- Sure Medical Situations: People with particular medical circumstances, resembling deep vein thrombosis (DVT), blood clotting problems, osteoporosis, or sure pores and skin circumstances, ought to seek the advice of a medical skilled earlier than utilizing a therapeutic massage gun. These circumstances might require specialised steerage to make sure secure utilization.
- Persistent Ache Situations: People with persistent ache circumstances resembling fibromyalgia, neuropathy, or persistent fatigue syndrome ought to seek the advice of a healthcare supplier earlier than utilizing a therapeutic massage gun. The extreme vibrations would possibly irritate these circumstances, and a healthcare skilled can supply steerage on one of the best strategy.
- Drugs: If you’re taking drugs that have an effect on blood clotting (blood thinners), ache notion, or muscle operate, seek the advice of your healthcare supplier earlier than utilizing a therapeutic massage gun. The interplay between the therapeutic massage gun’s results and your drugs must be evaluated.
- Kids: Kids’s our bodies are nonetheless creating, and the influence of percussive remedy on their rising muscular tissues and bones is just not effectively understood. It’s beneficial to keep away from utilizing therapeutic massage weapons on kids except particularly suggested by a pediatrician.
- Unfamiliarity or Discomfort: If you’re new to utilizing therapeutic massage weapons or expertise discomfort whereas utilizing one, it’s important to begin with low depth and quick durations. Discontinue use if you happen to expertise ache, numbness, or any adversarial reactions.
How To Use Therapeutic massage Gun?
Whereas I really like having my husband run the therapeutic massage gun over my again, usually you’ll be utilizing it on your self and that’s perfect to make sure you aren’t utilizing an excessive amount of strain.
This isn’t a deeper is best state of affairs. Not the sports activities therapeutic massage, the place you’re gripping the desk as they work by way of that calf knot form of factor.
Step 1, it is advisable calm down.
In the event you’re tense as a result of you understand an space is tender, you’re making it more durable for the software to work and it’s probably going to harm extra. Begin with a really mild strain and ease in to the world.
- Begin on the bottom velocity and enhance as wanted.
- You’re utilizing a lightweight contact and permitting the vibration to assist launch the knot.
- You’ll solely be holding it on a given space for just a few seconds, as you proceed to slowly transfer it round.
- Consider discovering a decent spot and transferring it round for 15 seconds, transferring over that entire space of your physique for not more than 2 minutes.
- A complete full physique session would possibly solely take 5-10 minutes. This isn’t like getting an hour therapeutic massage; that’s overkill in your muscular tissues.
- Do NOT overuse it.
- DO NOT apply it to injured areas, strains, sprains, and so forth.
- Don’t apply it to bony areas.
- You could possibly use it just a few occasions all through the day if desired, with a minimum of a pair hours between.
When To Use a Therapeutic massage Gun?
You may get advantages of utilizing the therapeutic massage gun for restoration late within the day or for priming muscular tissues previous to a exercise.
Muscle Activation: 30 Seconds
Pre-workout, you may put it to use on areas like your glutes and quads to hep get up the muscular tissues with a brief session.
A number of research have proven that utilizing it on the forearms improved grip energy when executed earlier than lifting. One other confirmed extra energy within the quads.
So it’s definitely value testing in your dynamic heat up. I prefer it to hit on my tight TFL previous to a exercise.
Muscle Re-Activation: 15 Seconds
Some have additionally beneficial utilizing it throughout a exercise if you’re starting to fatigue, probably as a result of the vibration creates the muscle distraction to minimize ache alerts. That is extra widespread in energy coaching classes the place persons are additionally searching for these positive aspects famous above.
Leisure: 2 Minutes
When you’ve totally cooled down from a exercise or are preparing for mattress, you should utilize the therapeutic massage gun on completely different areas for as much as 2 minutes. Once more transferring the gun round constantly, it’s stated to advertise leisure and can now be working in to these tight areas to launch fascia.
The way to Use Therapeutic massage Gun Heads?
I admit this was one of many first issues I used to be interested in…why so many and what do they do? Not eager to injure myself by merely testing, I began to analysis first!
That is probably the most used head, as it may well actually go wherever on the physique and the softer foam can be much less intense on locations like your interior thighs (which regularly get skipped with foam rolling) or tender calf muscular tissues.
This can be product of one thing a bit firmer than the froth ball relying on the mannequin, however can also be appropriate to be used on a lot of the physique and should merely present a bit extra intense muscle work than the bigger head.
This one is perhaps extra perfect for many of our bigger sore muscular tissues as a result of it spreads out the influence. I like each the flat head and the ball extra MOST of my therapeutic massage time.
This smaller, extra intense software is designed for particular set off factors and is commonly used on the soles of the ft. It’s typically talked about to be used round joints, however I don’t assume for probably the most half we need to be in any approach sending an influence in to the bone.
This break up head attachment means that you can goal areas such because the backbone or neck with out hitting the bone. However can also be usually used on the Achilles, or in an space the place you desire a twin hit to assist launch the muscular tissues.
As I realized with the Hydragun, these are literally INCREDIBLE. Particularly as a result of I’ve been hitting my glutes and low again exhausting because the ultramarathon and all the time discover my shirt getting snagged up…not with this.
Do You Want a Therapeutic massage Gun?
If requested, this wouldn’t be the primary software that I’d spend cash on, although I do take pleasure in mine.
In all probability as a result of I’m stingy with the place I spend cash and I don’t need to throw yours round both. Am I having fun with having one? For positive. However they’ve been out for years and I survived with out one, too.
I’d begin with a terrific pair of compression tights, the suitable trainers, glorious working socks…after which I’d ask if you happen to’re doing a dynamic heat up and strengthening your hips.
When you’ve stated sure, I’m doing these, in case you are eager to deal with your self or take issues to the following stage, then go forward and get a therapeutic massage gun.
This isn’t a treatment all or a magic bullet, but when it excites you to coach or helps you are feeling like restoration is best then GO FOR IT.
I obtained in to working as a result of it was low cost. I may run in my cotton t-shirt, my mesh shorts and the sneakers I had laying round…I rapidly realized a minimum of that final piece was a really unhealthy alternative.
However actually, I by no means may have imagined what I’d spend on a GPS watch and by no means even contemplated one thing like therapeutic massage gun.
But now, I notice that the suitable instruments are key to maintaining me working damage free.
Which suggests maintaining me sane.
In search of extra opinions to search out one of the best issues on your run?
Checkout our full web page of working gear opinions and guides to save lots of you time looking and cash! I share what’s labored for me and fellow runners, together with what wasn’t well worth the price ticket.
A number of widespread requests:
Different methods to attach with Amanda
Instagram Every day Enjoyable: RunToTheFinish
Fb Neighborhood Chatter: RunToTheFinish
Signal As much as Obtain a Weekly E-newsletter with High Operating Suggestions and Laughs