You received’t miss the noodles on this three cheese cauliflower mac and cheese recipe! That includes a creamy from-scratch cheese sauce and completely roasted cauliflower, this mac and cheese recipe is all the time a success.
Who says mac and cheese have to be made with noodles? We put a Match Foodie spin on conventional mac and cheese and the outcome was “chef’s kiss.” As a substitute of noodles, we use roasted cauliflower as the bottom of this recipe. It’s hearty, tacky, and a healthful various to the traditional.
Our #1 tip for cauliflower mac and cheese success? Roast the cauliflower for twenty-four minutes – no extra, no much less. This was the proper period of time to make sure just-right roasted cauliflower (not mushy and never too crispy).
Merely roast the cauliflower within the oven, make the cheese sauce on the stovetop, mix every part collectively, and broil till golden perfection for the final word noodle-free mac and cheese!
What You Want for Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
This three cheese cauliflower mac and cheese recipe options roasted cauliflower and a home made cheese sauce. Right here’s what you want for every:
- Cauliflower: toss the cauliflower in olive oil and season with spices.
- Butter + Flour: Melted butter and white complete wheat flour are the bottom of this cheese sauce. You’ll make a thick paste earlier than including the creamy substances.
- Milk + Cheese: 2% milk, shredded cheddar cheese, and cream cheese add creaminess and taste to the sauce. For finest outcomes, grate your personal cheddar cheese and ensure to make use of block-style cream cheese (not the cream cheese unfold).
- Parmesan Cheese: As soon as the cauliflower and cheese sauce are mixed, add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese earlier than broiling for further cheesiness.
Get our Prime 10 5-Star Recipes!
Be a part of our e mail listing for brand spanking new recipes and BONUS: get our high 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Variations
Customise this noodle-less mac and cheese recipe to your liking. Listed here are a couple of variations to attempt:
Use broccoli florets as an alternative of cauliflower (or half and half).
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the cauliflower for slightly warmth.
Make a half batch and bake in an 8×8-inch pan.
Can you utilize frozen cauliflower?
Sure! If utilizing frozen cauliflower florets, comply with the recipe as written, however add a couple of further minutes to the roasting time in step 3.
Is that this “mac” and cheese gluten free?
As written, no, however there’s a easy change! As a substitute of utilizing white complete wheat flour within the cheese sauce, change it with almond flour.
Leftover cauliflower mac and cheese is nice as leftovers and reheats splendidly. Let the cauliflower cool utterly, switch to an hermetic container, and refrigerate for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the microwave or in an oven-safe baking dish till warmed by.
We don’t advocate freezing leftovers because the cheese sauce can grow to be grainy when thawed and reheated.
Get pleasure from this cauliflower “mac” and cheese as a foremost dish by itself or together with your favourite toppings like: roasted broccoli, peas, steamed greens, pulled BBQ rooster, and extra. The topping prospects are limitless!
It’s additionally scrumptious as a vacation facet or with a salad or protein of alternative (like bacon wrapped rooster or stuffed pork chops).
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
Mix roasted cauliflower with a home made cheese sauce for this easy, protein-packed cauliflower mac and cheese recipe. It is extremely tacky and so delish!
Prepare dinner:40 minutes
- 32 oz. cauliflower florets* chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white complete wheat flour* or almond flour (keto choice)
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
In a big bowl, toss the chopped cauliflower florets with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Be sure all the cauliflower is coated.
Switch the cauliflower to the ready casserole dish and unfold it into a fair layer. Bake for 12 minutes, toss, and bake for an additional 12 minutes (about 24 minutes whole bake time).
Whereas cauliflower is roasting, make the cheese sauce. Soften the butter in a medium-sized pan over medium/excessive warmth. Add within the flour and blend with the butter till it turns right into a thick paste.
Scale back the warmth to low/medium and slowly stream the milk into the butter and flour combination, persistently mixing with a whisk.
Whisk over low warmth till the milk combination thickens. Take away the pan from the warmth and whisk within the cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and salt. Whisk till all the cheese is melted.
As soon as the cauliflower is finished roasting, take away the casserole dish from the oven. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and blend collectively. Be sure all the cauliflower is roofed within the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on high of the cauliflower and switch the oven to broil.
Place the tacky cauliflower again into the oven and broil on excessive for 2-5 minutes till bubbly and golden brown (time varies primarily based on the broiler). Take away from the oven and luxuriate in!
Ideas & Notes
- Storage: Retailer leftover cauliflower mac and cheese in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Cauliflower: If utilizing frozen cauliflower florets, comply with the recipe as written, however add a couple of further minutes to the roasting time in step 3.
- Flour: Use almond flour as an alternative of white complete wheat flour for a keto and gluten free choice.
Energy: 420kcal Carbohydrates: 24g Protein: 20g Fats: 29g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 11g