This hearty sausage stuffing is as straightforward as it’s scrumptious! The proper complement to your vacation meal, this stuffing recipe options store-bought stuffing cubes, which implies you received’t should dry out your personal bread.
Irrespective of in the event you’re workforce stuffing or workforce dressing, this traditional Italian sausage stuffing recipe will rapidly develop into a vacation favourite! This do-it-yourself stuffing is loaded with seasonal veggies, recent herbs, and store-bought stuffing cubes for straightforward prep.
Partially cook dinner the sausage and veggies on the range, mix with broth, and bake to golden brown perfection within the oven. We examined this recipe with and with out sautéed veggies, and the model with sautéed elements was a transparent winner – don’t skip this step!
This sliceable stuffing is a little bit candy, completely savory, all the time a crowd favourite, and a tasty different to cornbread stuffing.
“So so so good. Straightforward to make and the right combo of elements. Love a very good stuffing!” – Lauren
What You Want for Sausage Stuffing
This sausage stuffing is flavor-packed with pantry staples and straightforward to search out elements which mix to make an ideal that enhances any vacation meal. There are 4 primary components to do-it-yourself sausage stuffing:
- Meat: We use delicate floor Italian sausage on this stuffing recipe.
- Veggies: Potatoes (candy and Yukon gold), yellow onion, and honeycrisp apples (not a veggie, we all know!) add pleasant taste and texture.
- Herbs and Extra: It’s not stuffing with out recent herbs like thyme, rosemary, and sage. Garlic powder, salt, and pepper add taste whereas beef broth blended with Worcestershire sauce retains the stuffing moist.
- Bread: It’s not stuffing with out bread cubes and to maintain issues easy, we used Pepperidge Farm stuffing cubes.
Sausage Stuffing Substitutions
Listed below are a couple of methods to combine up this traditional sausage stuffing:
- Use spicy Italian sausage for a little bit kick
- Change the apples with chopped celery
- Make a half batch of stuffing and bake it in an 8×8-inch pan
Do it’s a must to sauté the veggies first?
Sautéing the veggies bounce begins the cooking course of and brings out so many pleasant flavors. The partially cooked veggies additionally add great texture to the stuffing. Don’t skip this step and place uncooked veggies within the casserole dish.
Are you able to make this stuffing forward of time?
Sure! Streamline your Thanksgiving prep by making sausage stuffing as much as 3 days forward of time. Place fully cooled stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge, then comply with our reheating directions under.
Sausage stuffing tastes nice as leftovers! Retailer any leftover stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Heat particular person servings within the microwave or comply with the reheating directions under.
Reheating Sausage Stuffing
This stuffing reheats very well which turns out to be useful for leftover Thanksgiving meals! For greatest style and texture, add 2-3 tablespoons of broth to a clear casserole dish (this helps maintain the stuffing moist whereas reheating). Switch the sausage stuffing into the casserole dish with the broth.
Cowl with foil and bake at 325ºF for 10-Quarter-hour or till fully heat (it would take longer to reheat bigger portions of stuffing).
Freezing Sausage Stuffing
Let the stuffing cool fully, switch to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to take pleasure in, enable the frozen stuffing to thaw fully, then comply with the reheating directions above.
Add this herb-y sausage stuffing recipe to your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebration! It’s a traditional vacation facet dish that can rapidly develop into a household favourite. Serve with our smoked turkey and different Thanksgiving sides akin to our roasted root greens and butternut squash mac and cheese.
That includes store-bought stuffing cubes, this hearty sausage stuffing is simple and scrumptious. Add this traditional facet dish to your vacation meal!
Cook dinner:45 minutes
Whole:1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 lb. floor delicate Italian sausage
- 3.5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 giant candy potato lower into half-inch cubes (pores and skin on)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes lower into half-inch cubes (pores and skin on)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 giant yellow onion sliced in half after which thinly sliced
- 2 small honey crisp apples minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced sage
- 1/8 teaspoon floor pepper
- 12 oz. store-bought stuffing cubes we used Pepperidge Farm
- 3.5 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter lower into skinny pads
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
In a skillet set over medium/excessive warmth, partially brown the Italian sausage. Cook dinner till there’s a little pink left, about 3-4 minutes. Switch the partially cooked sausage into the casserole dish.
In the identical skillet, add 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil. Add each sorts of potatoes, candy potatoes, Yukon potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook dinner simply lengthy sufficient to partially cook dinner by means of, about 3-5 minutes. Switch the potatoes into the casserole dish.
In the identical skillet, caramelize the onion. Warmth 2 extra tablespoons of olive oil. Add within the thinly sliced onion and cook dinner over low/medium warmth till the onions are translucent and caramelized, about 7-10 minutes. Switch the caramelized onions into the casserole dish.
To the casserole dish, add the apple, recent herbs, remaining garlic powder and salt, pepper, and bread cubes. Combine the whole lot collectively utilizing a spatula (or your arms).
In giant glass measuring cup (or bowl), combine collectively the meat broth and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the liquid over the stuffing combine within the casserole dish and blend once more.
Place skinny pads of butter on prime of the sausage stuffing. Bake, uncovered, till the highest is golden brown and agency to the contact, about 35-45 minutes. If you happen to discover the highest is browning too rapidly, tent a chunk of foil excessive of the casserole dish midway by means of baking.
Suggestions & Notes
- Storage: Retailer any leftover stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Heat particular person servings within the microwave or comply with the reheating directions under.
- Freezing Directions: Let the stuffing cool fully, switch to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to take pleasure in, enable the frozen stuffing to thaw fully, then comply with the reheating directions under.
- Reheating Directions: For greatest style and texture, add 2-3 tablespoons of broth to a clear casserole dish (this helps maintain the stuffing moist whereas reheating). Switch the sausage stuffing into the casserole dish with the broth. Cowl with foil and bake at 325ºF for 10-Quarter-hour or till fully heat (it would take longer to reheat bigger portions of stuffing).
Energy: 350kcal Carbohydrates: 33g Protein: 13g Fats: 18g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g