A sweet-and-savory mashup of juicy pineapple chunks and sharp cheese with a buttery, crunchy topping, Pineapple Casserole sounds weird however it’s completely scrumptious, particularly with turkey and ham!
Why You’ll Love This Pineapple Cheese Casserole Recipe
- Candy and Savory. The primary time somebody handed me pineapple casserole was the primary vacation I spent with my in-laws. I used to be horrified. I took a tiny, toddler-sized chew, and…oh my heavens, pineapple casserole is great. It’s no surprise so many households serve it alongside Glazed Candy Potatoes and Crockpot Mashed Potatoes for vacation dinners!
- Absurdly Simple. Stir the filling in a single bowl, the topping in one other, then mix and bake. Pineapple cheese casserole might be in your oven in about quarter-hour! That is at all times a plus once you’re assembling a vacation dinner and making an attempt to juggle Thanksgiving Turkey, Turkey Gravy, and numerous sides. (To not point out Candy Potato Pie!)
- A Basic Recipe, With Some Nicely Plated Tweaks. Naturally, we’re not going to skip the gloriously buttery cracker topping or the cheese, however conventional recipes name for a hefty quantity of sugar—a lot in order that they might make you surprise if pineapple casserole is a dessert or a facet dish! I desire so as to add crushed pineapple for its pure sweetness, together with a average quantity of honey.
5 Star Overview
“We made this for Easter and it was a HUGE hit !! We additionally actually preferred your video story !!This recipe is so yummy!”
— Laurie —
Extra About This Pineapple Casserole Recipe
Pineapple casserole is a standard dish within the South, like Squash Casserole and Shrimp and Grits.
I believed the mixture of pineapple and cheese sounded too bizarre to be true, however it doesn’t simply work—it triumphs.
Heat pineapple and cheese create a surprisingly delicious pairing that goes extremely nicely with meat. (Suppose pineapple glazed ham, Hawaiian pizza, or pairing apples with cheese).
Topped with buttery cracker crumbs, this pineapple dish tastes wealthy, calmly candy and savory, and comforting.
In different phrases, it’s good for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and any upcoming vacation that provides you a motive to serve it (along with your favourite Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole maybe?).
The way to Make Pineapple Casserole
- Mix the Pineapple and Honey. Utilizing each pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple offers you the perfect of each worlds.
- Add the Remaining Filling Substances. Flour helps thicken and cheddar cheese makes it savory.
- Mix. Stir the pineapple combination.
- Prime With Extra Cheese. Switch the filling to a baking dish and prime with the remaining cheese.
- Make the Topping. Use slightly pineapple juice to make it barely candy.
- Prepare dinner. Bake pineapple casserole at 350 levels F for 35 minutes. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate baked pineapple casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftover pineapple casserole in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
- As much as 1 week upfront, crush the crackers and retailer them in an hermetic storage container or ziptop bag.
- As much as 1 day upfront, put together the casserole filling and switch it to the baking dish. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. Whenever you’re prepared to complete the recipe, take away the baking dish from the fridge, add the topping combination, and bake as directed.
- You can also totally bake this recipe 1 day upfront. Refrigerate, then reheat, coated, in a 350 diploma F oven.
What to Serve with Pineapple Casserole
Recipe Suggestions and Tips
- Drain the Pineapple Nicely. Reserve the juice wanted for the topping, then actually drain out the remainder of the liquid—pouring the pineapple right into a colander helps. The pineapple will launch juices because it bakes, so if you happen to begin out with additional juice within the baking dish, you’ll find yourself with a soupy casserole.
- Shred Your Personal Cheese. This makes all of the distinction! Shredding your personal cheese will make it soften far more easily; I additionally suppose cheese off the block is extra flavorful. The pre-shredded baggage of cheese on the grocery retailer have an anti-caking agent added to them that retains them from clumping, but in addition impacts how they soften.
- Broil the Prime, If Wanted. Ovens are all completely different! It’s possible you’ll get a golden brown crumb with out broiling, but when the crackers are wanting a bit pale after the casserole has completed cooking, you may activate the broiler for a minute or two. Maintain shut watch to ensure the topping doesn’t burn—it may occur quick!
- Change Up the Topping. If you happen to desire to make pineapple casserole with out Ritz, omit the crackers and use additional panko. If you happen to desire a crisp, chunky topping, strive making pineapple casserole with small, pretty dry bread cubes as an alternative (I’d additionally improve the butter and pineapple juice a bit, because the bread will take in extra moisture).
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice drained (reserve 2 tablespoons juice for the topping)
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice drained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces freshly grated shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 1 1/2 cups, divided
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 20 buttery spherical crackers crushed, equivalent to Ritz (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs or further crushed crackers
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved from one of many cans above
- TO MAKE AHEAD: As much as 1 week upfront, crush the crackers and retailer them in an hermetic storage container or ziptop bag. As much as 1 day upfront, put together the casserole filling and switch it to the baking dish. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. Whenever you’re prepared to complete the recipe, take away the baking dish from the fridge, add the topping combination, and bake as directed.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350°F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating. The feel of the casserole will change as soon as thawed, however it’s going to nonetheless style scrumptious.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 275kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 6gFats: 14gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 36mgPotassium: 182mgFiber: 2gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 437IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 156mgIron: 1mg
Be part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Whereas I haven’t tried it myself, you can strive making this right into a pineapple casserole with 4 ounces of cream cheese. Cube the cream cheese into small items and stir it in with the pineapple. Solely use half of the cheddar.
For gluten free pineapple casserole, use gluten free crackers, breadcrumbs, and a 1:1 gluten free baking flour as an alternative of all-purpose flour.
Whereas no one is aware of precisely who made the primary pineapple casserole, the dish possible first got here into existence within the southern United States the place it stays hottest at this time. The dish’s creation was possible spurred by the brand new, widespread availability of comfort meals like canned fruit, packaged crackers, and canned soups that took place within the Nineteen Fifties.