I like this easy, wholesome dried seaweed vegan pasta recipe to serve alongside pasta. In spite of everything, dried seaweed is filled with diet (study extra right here) and umami taste. Plus, seaweed is a conventional, planet-friendly meals we must always embrace in our diets extra usually. And it’s much more versatile than you may suppose. What’s pesto, in spite of everything? It’s an Italian basil, garlic, pine nut and olive oil mix that provides a strong, natural taste to traditional dishes. And you may take pesto up a notch with a sprinkle of seaweed. Go forward, whiz up this pesto with seaweed sprinkles, arugula, basil, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil to toss into cooked pasta in my recipe for Penne Pasta with Seaweed Vegan Pesto. And don’t cease there! Add this seaweed vegan pesto to sandwiches, breakfast tofu scrambles, baked tempeh, and grain salads. When you’re gluten-free, simply choose gluten-free pasta.
I created this Penne Pasta with Seaweed Vegan Pesto for Meals + Planet’s Blue Meals as Medication Cookbook, together with 19 different dietitians who created blue meals (sea greens, and bivalves) recipes. I used to be additionally the co-editor of the cookbook challenge, which additionally meant planning a photograph shoot with the superb Vanessa Stump in her studio (pictured beneath). Take a look at the video for this straightforward, wholesome, scrumptious recipe right here. And study extra about blue meals in our webinar on blue meals with At present’s Dietitian right here.
Flip to dried seaweed to make a nutritious, eco-friendly vegan pesto full of umami goodness to serve with penne pasta.
Seaweed Vegan Pesto:
- 1/3 cup dried dulse (or 1 1/2 tablespoons dulse granules)
- 1 cup packed recent basil leaves and stems
- 2 cups packed arugula leaves and stems
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon dietary yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons further virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to style)
- Fill a giant pot two-thirds filled with water, cowl with a lid, and warmth over medium-high warmth till boiling.
- Add penne pasta, stir, and scale back warmth to medium. Prepare dinner based on bundle instructions (about 10-12 minutes) till al dente. Drain pasta and put aside.
- Whereas pasta is cooking, put together pesto. Place dried dulse, basil, arugula, pine nuts, dietary yeast, garlic cloves, and lemon juice within the container of a meals processor. Pulse on low till finely chopped, whereas regularly including olive oil to the meals processor by the spout. Course of till clean. Could have to cease and scrape down sides whereas processing the pesto. Take away from the meals processor and place in a big serving bowl. Season the pesto with salt and pepper based on desire, stirring effectively to mix. Add sizzling, drained pasta, and toss along with tongs to distribute the pesto effectively.
- Prime with shredded Parmesan cheese (might use plant-based or dairy-based, based on your desire). Serve instantly. Could chill and function a chilly pesto pasta salad, if desired.
Make this recipe gluten-free by utilizing gluten-free pasta.
You’ll be able to skip the penne and use the pesto in your favourite sandwiches as an expansion, to marinade kebabs, or to function a dip with crackers and veggies.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 12 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 265
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 83 mg
- Fats: 5 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 9 g
Key phrases: penne pasta, dried seaweed, what’s pesto, vegan pesto, creamy pesto sauce
For extra pasta recipes, take a look at my favorites:
Lentil Walnut Bolognese with Spaghetti
Mushroom Bomb Lentil Pasta
Contemporary Cranberry Beans with Pasta and Greens
Vegan Baked Mediterranean Lasagna
Swiss Chard Pecan Lasagna
Vegan Pasta Amatriciana
Learn extra about the advantages of sea greens right here. And take a look at our webinar on blue meals with At present’s Dietitian right here.
This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data click on right here.