Creamy mushroom stroganoff is what goals are product of. The flavour combo between the mushrooms and savory stroganoff sauce is unbelievable.
This mushroom stroganoff recipe is made with hearty mushrooms, Greek yogurt/bitter cream, broth, and contemporary thyme which can be folded in with egg noodles to create probably the most comforting dinner.
Everybody has that one meal that they select after they crave consolation meals and stroganoff does it for me! I’m obsessive about the flavour of umami and this vegetarian stroganoff is a should you’re something like me.
Sometimes I wish to make one among our beef stroganoff recipes for my household as a result of my husband is a giant meat eater, however I really like that this can be a vegetarian take. Plus, it solely takes half-hour!
We additionally made this stroganoff sauce additional particular by utilizing Greek yogurt as an alternative of bitter cream so as to add a lift of protein.
What’s in mushroom stroganoff sauce?
Stroganoff sauce is historically made with bitter cream and a roux, which is a mix of butter, flour, and milk or broth. Most stroganoff sauces have onion, mushrooms (even beef stroganoff), and Worcestershire sauce.
We went with a extra nutritious model of a creamy and scrumptious sauce for this mushroom stroganoff with triple the quantity of mushrooms and Greek yogurt as an alternative of bitter cream. Right here’s what else you want:
- Vegetable broth – we’ve made this recipe utilizing beef broth (which isn’t vegetarian) and that additionally works, too.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallt works too.
- Garlic – garlic is a should for this sauce. It provides a lot savory taste.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms are the star of the present. Scroll right down to see which of them we advocate.
- Worcestershire sauce – just a little little bit of vinegar actually helps carry out the entire umami flavors.
- Greek yogurt or bitter cream – we now have used each yogurt and bitter cream. So, be happy to make use of whichever you need.
- Flour – flour helps thicken the sauce. We used white entire wheat flour, however all-purpose flours works too.
What sort of mushrooms must you use?
There isn’t a rule on what sort of mushrooms to make use of on this mushroom stroganoff recipe. We used a mix of Bella mushrooms, white mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms.
Be happy to experiment with any sort of mushrooms that you simply’d like comparable to portobello!
At all times Pan
The At all times Pan is our favourite pan for sauteing, steaming, frying, and simmering. It’s a nonstick pan that we extremely advocate.
Should you’re trying so as to add extra sustenance or veggies to your stroganoff, we’re right here to let you know that may be a nice thought. Sauté different greens with the mushrooms while you add the onions into the pan. Listed here are some concepts:
You can too add any sort of protein to this dish. We’ve made it with floor beef and flank steak, however rooster or floor turkey work too.
desire a extra conventional stroganoff sauce?
We’re large followers of Greek yogurt, however you’re greater than welcome to swap it out for bitter cream, which is way more conventional. You can even go 50/50 Greek yogurt and bitter cream. Your alternative!
Mushroom Stroganoff FAQ
How do you thicken mushroom stroganoff?
We used flour to thicken this mushroom stroganoff as we discovered the style is a lot better than a corn starch slurry.
Can I substitute milk for bitter cream in mushroom stroganoff?
The very best substitute for bitter cream (which is utilized in conventional stroganoff) is Greek yogurt, not milk. Greek yogurt has the identical tang and thickness as bitter cream.
How do I make mushroom stroganoff gluten-free?
To make mushroom stroganoff gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and gluten-free all-purpose flour for thickening.
Is that this stroganoff vegan?
This recipe shouldn’t be vegan or dairy-free as a result of it requires Greek yogurt or bitter cream. It’s, nonetheless, vegetarian.
Let stroganoff cool fully. Then, switch into an hermetic container and retailer for as much as 3-5 days.
Are you able to freeze stroganoff?
As a result of stroganoff is a noodle-based dish, we don’t advocate freezing it as a result of the noodles will doubtless get soggy.
Since mushroom stroganoff is a well-rounded meal in itself, we sometimes serve this in a bowl with a bit of sourdough. Nevertheless, when you might serve it subsequent to extra veggies comparable to sautéed inexperienced beans or air fryer broccoli.
Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
Our vegetarian mushroom stroganoff is made with hearty mushrooms, Greek yogurt, broth, and contemporary thyme which can be folded in with egg noodles to create probably the most comforting dinner!
Cook dinner:20 minutes
- 10 oz. vast egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 20 oz. combined mushrooms thinly sliced (we used portobello and white mushrooms)
- 1/2 giant white onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt separated
- 1/2 teaspoon floor pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth separated (or any sort)
- 3 tablespoons white entire wheat flour
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek Yogurt possibility to make use of bitter cream as an alternative
Observe the package deal directions on the again of your egg noodles and convey a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles.
Let the egg noodles cook dinner till they’re al dente after which pressure the water from the noodles.
Rinse the noodles with chilly water and set them apart.
Subsequent, warmth a big skillet (or Dutch oven) over medium-high warmth and add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
When the olive oil is aromatic, add the entire mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the pan and switch the warmth to medium/low warmth.
Let the mushrooms sauté for 6-8 minutes, tossing them each 3-4 minutes.
Add 1 extra tablespoon of olive oil to the mushrooms in addition to the onion and garlic. Combine the whole lot collectively and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes.
Whereas the greens are cooking, add the flour to 1 cup of broth and whisk till the flour is generally dissolved.
Flip the warmth to medium-high warmth and slowly pour the flour and broth combination into the pan and whisk persistently till the combination thickens.
Take away the stroganoff from the warmth and let it cool for only a minute in order that the Greek yogurt doesn’t curdle while you add it in. Then, slowly add the remainder of the broth, Greek yogurt, pepper, and contemporary thyme to the pan and blend till mixed.
Carry the combination to a boil after which flip to low warmth.
Fold the egg noodles into the mushroom stroganoff sauce and let the combination warmth over low warmth till the noodles are scorching and able to eat.
Ideas & Notes
- Salt the mushrooms: It is vital you don’t skimp on the oil or the salt. The salt helps to attract the moisture out of mushrooms.
- Begin sautéing the mushrooms on medium warmth, not excessive warmth. You wish to slowly sauté at first after which brown the mushrooms on medium-high warmth for the previous couple of minutes to brown them.
- Attempt to not push the mushrooms round an excessive amount of within the pan. Let the mushrooms sit and seep their liquid.
- You realize when the mushrooms are prepared when they’re nonetheless plump, however golden brown.
Energy: 217kcal Carbohydrates: 14g Protein: 10g Fats: 14g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g