I first made my very own home made pie crust from scratch once I was simply 9 years previous and have been doing it ever since. I nonetheless keep in mind the day as a result of my Mother and I spent most of it roasting sugar pumpkins to make an uber creamy and candy pumpkin pie filling.
To this present day, I nonetheless make all my pies and pie crusts from scratch. Not solely is it nostalgic, but in addition therapeutic and 10x higher than any store-bought pie crust. The love and care that goes into baking home made pies is certainly one of a form.
As we speak, I’m going to share all of my ideas and methods for making the perfect flaky pie crust recipe that’s made with all butter and nil shortening. It’s really foolproof and no fail, and I’m SO excited so that you can strive it.
Get our FREE Final Thanksgiving Information
I’ve been internet hosting or serving to to host Thanksgiving for years now and once I say this Final Thanksgiving Information e-mail is for everybody, I really imply it. Enroll beneath to get my greatest ideas for internet hosting a stress-free vacation!
Butter vs. shortening in pie crust
The controversy of butter vs shortening in pie crust has been happening for many years, however personally, I imagine an all-butter pie crust to be higher for a couple of causes.
- Higher taste: butter undoubtedly has higher taste and texture than shortening. So whereas shortening does have the next melting level, butter provides you with a extra scrumptious crust with scrumptious flaky pockets.
- Deliciously flakier: butter will produce a barely flakier crust. Since butter has the next water content material when in comparison with shortening, it’s going to supply a barely flakier crust. You’ll additionally discover that an all butter pie crust could have a puffier crust because of the layers of butter basically steaming inside the flour.
Substances in the perfect home made all butter pie crust
This straightforward pie crust recipe requires a couple of easy substances that you simply possible have already got in your pantry, which is another excuse why it’s so nice.
- All goal flour
- Chilly unsalted butter
- Vodka (non-compulsory however really helpful!)
- Ice water
Tools wanted to make pie crust
You’ll want these three items of kit to make sure good pie crust success:
- Meals processor: I want to make use of a meals processor for ease, however you can even use a pastry cutter.
- Rolling pin: a rolling pin is important to rolling out pie dough. At all times make sure that your rolling pin is effectively floured earlier than rolling.
- Pie pan: a traditional glass pie pan is ideal for baking your pies.
Suggestions for making the right butter pie crust
There are a couple of important ideas and methods to making sure that your pie crust comes out good each time:
- Be sure your butter is VERY chilly. Chilled butter is greatest when making pie crust, particularly because you’ll be working with heat arms. My advice is to cube up the butter, place on a plate and set within the freezer for at the least 15-Half-hour. This will even provide the alternative to get your whole substances out and able to go.
- Use vodka. I like to recommend utilizing vodka in your pie crust to realize an ideal, flaky crust. If that’s not attainable for you, then you may exchange vodka with 1 tablespoon buttermilk, milk or cider vinegar, I wouldn’t use greater than a tablespoon although (the remainder of the liquid needs to be water.) That is additionally assuming you’re solely making a single pie crust as a substitute of a double.
- Permit your pie dough to relaxation within the fridge for at the least Half-hour-1 hour. Resting your pie dough within the fridge will permit gluten to calm down, the butter to harden and agency up inside the pockets of flour and offer you a flaky, good crust.
- Thaw out your pie dough for a couple of minutes earlier than rolling. Earlier than you roll out your dough, permit it to sit down out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order that it’s simpler to roll. You probably have bother rolling it out, then merely wait one other 5 minutes.
- Attempt to not overwork the dough. Don’t spend a ton of time processing the dough within the meals processor; you actually solely must pulse it 10 instances to get the butter to return collectively into the dough earlier than including your liquid.
- Chill your crust within the pie pan earlier than including your pie filling. After rolling out your dough and putting it in your pie pan, cowl the pie crust and place it again within the fridge to get the dough again to being very chilly by chilling the fats within the crust. Once more, that is greatest for attaining a flaky pie crust and serving to to maintain the form of your crust upon baking. Alternatively, you may all the time roll it out immediately, put it in your pie pan after which refrigerate the crust within the pan till you’re prepared to make use of.
- Be sure your floor and rolling pin are well-floured: that is to stop the dough from sticking to the floor or to the rolling pin.
Why use vodka in home made pie crust?
I first keep in mind listening to about utilizing vodka in pie crust from Cook dinner’s Illustrated, and it’s reworked my pie crusts into flaky little goddesses. Primarily, the speculation is that vodka provides moisture to the dough and in addition prevents gluten within the pie crust from over-developing, leaving you a flakier pie crust and a pie dough that’s simpler to work with.
Don’t attempt to substitute one other alcohol for the vodka as you’ll not find yourself with the identical outcomes. If you wish to strive a substitute, you may strive subbing in a tablespoon of cider vinegar, or a tablespoon of buttermilk or milk instead of the vodka.
Time to form your pie crust
As soon as you’re able to go, it will probably really feel intimidating to truly place it and form it onto your pie pan. Don’t fear! It’s simpler than you assume with a couple of easy directions and ideas:
- Roll out the dough: the dough needs to be about 1 inch bigger than the pie pan diameter. Don’t fear an excessive amount of about cracks, you may patch them up as you go or simply begin over. The pie dough needs to be about 1/eighth inch thick when rolled out.
- Fold the dough. Take your rolled out dough and gently fold it in half in an effort to decide it up and switch it to your pie pan.
- Place the dough. Rigorously unfold and ease the dough into the pan. Don’t fear if the dough cracks or messes up, simply reshape the dough right into a disk and roll out once more!
- Trim the surplus. As you place the dough into your pan, trim the additional crust across the edges of the pie plate and discard extra dough.
- Flute the perimeters. Lastly, flute the perimeters of the crust nonetheless you’d like. I usually use my finger and thumb to pinch the dough or you need to use a fork! See above for a photograph instance, and take a look at the video to see it in motion.
Do I must do a blind bake?
A blind bake, AKA a pre-bake or a par-bake, signifies that you partially bake your pie crust earlier than including the filling and baking all of it collectively once more. I personally don’t blind bake this pie crust earlier than making any of my pies as a result of the pies all the time prove good as-is!
Whether or not or not it’s good to do a blind bake earlier than baking your whole pie actually is dependent upon the pie recipe and the filling, so simply make sure you take note of the recipe you’re following to see if a blind bake is really helpful. For instance, no bake pies usually require blind baking the crust as a result of the filling (after all) won’t be baked after including it to the crust.
Prime savory pies with this home made crust
Not solely can you employ this straightforward pie crust recipe to make a scrumptious crust to your favourite candy pie recipes, however you can even use it to high savory pies like my well-known hen pot pie and scrumptious broccoli cheddar hen pot pie!
As a substitute of putting the pie crust in your pie pan and shaping it as described above, you’ll merely:
- Cook dinner the savory pie filling
- Add the filling to your pan
- Rigorously layer the crust on high of the filling, press the perimeters to seal it
- Poke a couple of holes or slits to let the filling steam whereas it bakes!
- Brush the crust with an egg wash so earlier than baking in order that it will get good and golden
See methods to make an all butter pie crust
Are you able to freeze pie dough?
Sure! I really like freezing pie crust earlier than baking as a result of then anytime I need to make a pie all I’ve to do is thaw it out and roll. Making and freezing pie dough forward of time can also be an effective way to save lots of time through the hectic vacation season.
There are two choices for freezing pie dough.
- Freeze, then roll out later. That is my favourite possibility. First make the recipe as instructed, then wrap in plastic wrap then wrap in foil and place in a reusable or freezer secure bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. As soon as able to make your pie, you may thaw the frozen pie dough within the fridge for a couple of hours, then roll it out and place in your pie pan.
- Freeze within the pie pan. To avoid wasting extra time, you may freeze your pie crust earlier than baking proper in your pie pan. Merely roll out the dough, then freeze within the pie pan you intend on baking in. You’ll simply want to verify it’s well-wrapped with plastic freezer wrap, foil after which locations in a freezer bag. As soon as able to bake you may add your filling on to the frozen crust and bake your pie as your usually would. You simply may have so as to add 5-10 minutes extra baking time.
Do that pie crust with these superb recipes
Don’t neglect to get all of our superb Thanksgiving recipes right here!
For those who make this pie crust recipe make sure you go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you favored it! Do you have got any ideas or methods for making the perfect pie crust? I’d love to listen to from you — go away a remark beneath!
Methods to Make the Excellent All Butter Pie Crust
Discover ways to make an all butter pie crust that is flaky, straightforward and completely scrumptious! Watch a easy video tutorial to see methods to make and form the right pie crust. Utilizing the following tips and methods, you may be baking scrumptious home made pies very quickly.
- For the crust:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vodka (or sub buttermilk)
- 2-3 tablespoons ice chilly water, plus extra if essential
Earlier than you make the crust, lower the butter for the crust into small cubes and set on a plate. Place within the freezer for 15-Half-hour so it will get VERY COLD. When you do that, you may get your whole different substances out and able to go.
To make the crust: Add the flour, sugar and salt to a meals processor and pulse a couple of instances to mix. Add the VERY COLD butter cubes and pulse once more for 20-30 seconds till pie dough begins to resemble tiny peas.
Subsequent, add 1 tablespoon of vodka, then add in 2-3 tablespoons ICE COLD water to the dough. Pulse till dough comes collectively only a bit, resembling small beads. The dough ought to nonetheless be considerably crumbly; I like to recommend squeezing a small quantity of dough between your fingers; it ought to stick collectively effectively, but when it doesn’t and could be very crumbly, add extra ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, till it simply comes collectively. In case your dough is just too moist, add 1/2 tablespoon flour till it comes collectively. I normally don’t mess with ratios an excessive amount of as a result of that is what works for me. Don't overwork the dough.
Place dough onto a well-floured floor and kind right into a disk form, then wrap with plastic wrap or in a reusable bag. Chill within the fridge for at the least Half-hour-1 hour or as much as 2 days. Dough will also be frozen for as much as 2-3 months if effectively wrapped in each plastic after which foil.
As soon as dough has been chilled for at the least Half-hour, place dough on a VERY well-floured clear floor and use a effectively floured-rolling pin to roll the dough right into a spherical form about 1 inch bigger than an upside-down 9-inch pie plate. Fold dough in half to assist switch to put in pie plate. Unfold and ease the dough into the pan. (For those who mess up, that’s fully okay — simply reshape the dough right into a disk and roll out once more.) Trim the additional crust across the edges of the pie plate and discard extra dough. Flute the perimeters of the crust nonetheless you’d like (I usually use my finger and thumb to pinch the dough or you need to use a fork!). Cowl the pie crust tightly with plastic wrap and place pie pan within the fridge whilst you put together your pie filling. Makes 1 pie crust. Be happy to double the recipe to make a double pie crust.
Serving: 1slice (primarily based on 9)Energy: 139calCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 1.4gFats: 10.2gSaturated Fats: 6.4gFiber: 0.4gSugar: 0.2g
This publish was initially revealed on November 11, 2019, republished on October 31, 2021, and republished on October twenty first, 2023.