Sure, you possibly can remodel your ham drippings right into a creamy, savory Ham Gravy! Your vacation dinners won’t ever be the identical when you uncover the deliciousness and ease of this ham gravy recipe. Put the ham gravy in a jar again on the shelf. You don’t want it!
Why You’ll Love This Previous-Customary Ham Gravy Recipe
- The Taste of Ham, in Handy Gravy Kind. Liquid ham? Okay, scrap that—it could not be the perfect descriptor. However there’s no denying that ham is delectable, and now you possibly can profit from its yummy juices. Pour it in your vacation ham or biscuits, or use it any means you’d use Turkey Gravy.
- One thing for Your Mashed Potatoes. If you’re making Crockpot Mashed Potatoes or Prompt Pot Mashed Potatoes for a vacation dinner, however your primary dish is ham, you’ve got an issue: what is going to you do for the gravy if you don’t have a turkey?! Ham gravy is the answer.
- A New Spin on Sausage Gravy. Should you love the creamy white gravy spooned over biscuits for breakfast within the South, then you definately’ll respect this ham gravy too. It’s so comparable that you should utilize it to make biscuits and gravy—possibly with my do-it-yourself Drop Biscuits.
- Virtually Easy. Whereas making gravy is usually a nail-biter—will or not it’s lumpy? will or not it’s bland and watery, or glue-y and salty?—this fast ham gravy is a cinch when you comply with the guidelines beneath. In simply 5-minutes, you possibly can have the perfect ham gravy.
- SO MUCH BETTER Than Retailer Purchased Gravy. Gravy packets and jars really can not maintain a candle to the actual deal. That is straightforward ham gravy is nicely well worth the (minimal) effort.
Find out how to Make Ham Gravy
- Ham Drippings. I take advantage of the liquid left on the backside of the gradual cooker after making Crockpot Ham. Should you’re brief, add milk to make up the distinction.
- Unsalted Butter. That is vital! Ham is brined, so the dripping will already be salty. You don’t need to add salted butter on high of that.
- All-Function Flour. I favor utilizing flour to cornstarch in gravy.
- Half-and-Half. For a wealthy, creamy ham gravy.
- Floor Black Pepper. White gravy advantages from the addition of coarse black pepper, each visually and in its taste.
- Make a Roux. Soften the butter over medium-low warmth; sprinkle within the flour and whisk till it turns golden.
- Add the Drippings. Slowly pour within the ham drippings, whisking continuously.
- Simmer. Proceed to whisk whereas the gravy simmers. Let it proceed simmering till it thickens a bit.
- Add the Creamy Issue. Stir within the half-and-half and pepper, then season to style. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover ham gravy in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Heat leftovers in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low warmth, stirring incessantly; don’t let it come to a boil. You may as well reheat ham gravy within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic container or freezer bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then reheat in keeping with the directions above.
What to Serve with Ham Gravy
- Gravy Boat. The proper serving vessel for any gravy.
- Whisk. This small whisk is good for utilizing in a saucepan.
- Liquid Measuring Cup. For measuring and pouring the ham drippings.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Don’t Rush the Roux. The flour ought to flip golden brown earlier than you begin whisking within the ham drippings. Should you add the drippings any sooner, your gravy may have an disagreeable uncooked flour style.
- Pour the Drippings in Slowly. One other tip to file below: don’t rush issues! Slowly stream the drippings into the roux whereas whisking. Should you dump all the liquid in without delay, or too shortly, the roux gained’t incorporate easily.
- Don’t Accept Lumpy Gravy. In case your gravy is lumpy, you don’t need to serve it to your friends and spend the entire meal apologizing to them whereas dissecting the explanations in your gravy fail. Take a deep breath after which puree the gravy, both in a daily blender or with an immersion blender. Nobody will know! (Psst—This trick works for Mushroom Gravy too.)
- 1 1/4 cups ham drippings use as a lot as you’ve got; when you’re brief, add milk to make up the distinction
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour use 1:1 GF AP flour substitute to make gluten free
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse floor black pepper
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover ham gravy in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat leftovers in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low warmth, stirring incessantly; don’t let it come to a boil. You may as well reheat ham gravy within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic container or freezer bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then reheat in keeping with the directions above.
Be a part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.